1) Maintain an ideal BMI: the prostate cancer has high incidence in obese men. This adds prostate cancer to the list of diseases that occur due to excess weight. Therefore, maintaining ideal Body Mass Index and Waist Hip Ratio certainly reduce the risk of prostate cancer. Thus, good low-fat diet and exercise reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
2) Say no to red meat: High incidence of prostate cancer is associated with high intake of red meat. It is postulated that red meat eaters are ingesting higher levels of fats, which are harmful for prostatic health. Also grilled meat is said to add to the risk of prostate cancer. So, obviously avoiding such indulgence can reduce the risk of cancer.
3) Fruits and vegetables prevent prostate cancer: 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables reduce your risk of prostatic cancer. Especially people who indulge in tomatoes, pink grapefruits, and pasta sauce can significantly reduce the risk of cancer due to high amount of lycopene in it that destroys free radicals in the body due to its anti-oxidant properties.
4) Have foods rich in omega-3-fatty acids: fish like salmon, mackerel, and herring are said to reduce the prostate cancer risk by manifolds due to their high levels of omega-3-fatty acids.
5) Green tea, soy, legumes: the phytoestrogens contained in soy beans and some legumes fight against the cancers. Also antioxidants like polyphenols may help in preventing prostate and other cancers.
6) Chemoprevention: It is one of the modes of prevention in which certain natural supplements including vitamins D and E, difluromethylornithine (DFMO), isoflavonoids, selenium, and lycopene are administered in the hope to prevent prostate cancer.
However, a careful assessment by doctor is must before you proceed with the preventive measures.