As we all know, all women have to go through many milestones in their life. Health-wise and otherwise too! This journey is not that easy, considering the various steps they have to go through their entire life. The reproductive phase of women is considered as one of the healthiest period on all planes. Physically, mentally, and even emotionally, they have their bodily hormones protecting them during this period. This is the period between the onset of menses to the onset of menopause.
But during this phase also, they may suffer from one or the other problems for which high doses of hormones may be prescribed by conventional medicine. But considering their deep action, many of us worry about the possible side effects due to these hormones. On the contrary, homeopathic treatment enables them to find a balanced menstrual cycle without having undue pressure on any other organ. Let’s see in details which menstrual disorders can be treated with homeopathy-
(1) Late menarche- It means nothing but delayed onset of menstrual cycle. In some feeble constitutions, the onset of menses may be delayed due to unknown reasons. There are also some familial traits in which the menstrual cycle may be delayed. If late menses run in family, there is little need to do anything. But if such history is not there and the girl is of weak feeble constitution, our homeopathic medicines can help her acquire her normal periods sooner. But it is advised that it is better to wait till 16th year at least before starting the treatment. Also better seek the help of ultrasonography expert to rule out any anatomical errors.
(2) Irregular menses- (Metrorrhagia) - Some girls and women suffer from too late or too early periods. In some they are regularly irregular and in others irregularly irregular. It has been seen that in women who have regularly irregular periods, menses are mostly ovulatory but in girls who have irregularly irregular menses for long period of time, one has to rule out anovulatory cycles. Here you can take help from ovulatory studies to comprehend the exact pattern of menses. Homeopathic constitutional medicine sets this cycle straight in most case. Certain acute remedies like Senecio aureus, Pulsatilla, etc may be helpful in case of late onset of menses.
(3) Profuse menses- (menorrhagia) - This is quite common in elderly women approaching menopause too. It can occur in young age as well. The heavy menstrual bleeding may occur in some feeble constitutions and hypertensive patients too. Firstly one has to thoroughly examine the patient for any high blood pressures or thyroid problems. Also rule out any psychological problems which are making patient think she is bleeding heavily (mind it, it’s quite common in urban population). The menses may also occur twice or even thrice in the same month (polymenorrhea) and the patient may loose excess blood, leading to anemia. Remember here apt homeopathic management can help patient have monthly period but the homeopathic doctor should also prescribe hematinic (iron and folic acid + vitamin B12) supplementation if necessary. As with any other disease, ruling out the causative factor and finalizing your choice of medicine depending on that is of utmost importance. While selecting homeopathic medicine, the type of menses, the bleeding character, knotty or dilute discharges are all important to direct to a particular remedy.
(4) Scanty menses- In many patients this is a finding many doctors often miss. Firstly, in developing countries and rural populations, anemia may be the sole cause of scanty menses. So, correcting the anemia with aptly chosen homeopathic medicines (and iron supplementations if needed) is necessary. But in women with normal hemoglobin and scanty menses, one has to rule out certain problems like polycystic ovarian disease. In most women with PCOD, they have scanty menses that are irregularly placed. An ovulatory study as well as abdominal ultrasonography is advised especially when the woman fails to conceive because of this problem. Homeopathic constitutional medicine chosen depending upon the physical, mental, and emotional characteristics of the patient helps her alleviate her all menstrual problems and even she can conceive properly without any aid of interventional procedure.
(5) Dysmenorrhea- Painful menses is quite common especially in teenage girls. They are often told that once they conceive and deliver a child, the pain will go away. No doubt, it is true but why to keep them suffering till then? There are good homeopathic remedies that treat dysmenorrhea mildly. The medicines are chosen depending upon the type of dysmenorrhea too (congestive or spasmodic), type of pain, the modalities by which the girl feels better or gets worse. Certain characteristic symptoms point to the perfect remedy. The remedies like Mag phos, Viburnum opulus, Chamomilla, Ignatia, etc are useful for acute attacks as well. With constitutional remedy, the girls are relieved completely without any recurrence.
(6) Menopausal Blues- This has aroused lot of interest in recent years. As I said earlier, menses are women’s protecting weapon. It’s been seen that even the cardiac health risk equals that of a man when woman attains menopause. Therefore, due to hormonal variations during this period, every woman goes through much physical, mental, and emotional turmoil. In some it’s more, in some less! Hot flushes, leucorrhea, headaches, excess irritability, absent mindedness, etc and many more can happen during this period. Woman needs consistent support and apt homeopathic treatment to relieve her menopausal blues. The constitutional medicines like Pulsatilla, Graphites, Lachesis, Calcarea carb, etc help her find a balance and lead a healthier life even after menopause.
(7) Leucorrhea- The nasty white discharge in women can be due to variety of reasons. The fungal and/or bacteria infections, trichomonal infections, hormonal variations, bad hygiene, pelvic inflammatory disease, etc are some of the causative factors for leucorrhea. There are very potent homeopathic medicines like Borax, Alumina, Natrum mur, etc that cater the white discharge successfully to impart permanent relief to the patient.