Sudden pain from loin to groin sometimes makes people miserable. The reason behind many times may be renal calculus or in simpler terms, kidney stones. Though exact genesis of kidney stones is yet to be ascertained by the scientific community, we know today that they are the aggregates of small amounts of proteins, glycoproteins, and crystals that have potential to damage kidneys if untreated. In more than 50% of cases, the crystals consist of calcium oxalate and in fewer people the crystals may consist of calcium phosphate, magnesium ammonium phosphate, cystine, and uric acid.
Risk factors for development of kidney stones:
(1) Deficiency of vitamin A
(2) Recurrent urinary tract infection
(3) Excessive sweating
(4) Prolonged retention of urine
(5) Immobilization after surgery
(6) Improper calcium metabolism etc
How to diagnose renal calculus?
Certainly the doctors can diagnose renal calculus clinically from the symptoms depicted in a patient. On and off dull pain in loin or lumbar region that increases on movement is the usual presenting symptom of renal calculus. However, many patients also present with severe and excruciating pain from loin to groin when the stone gets lodged in the ureter. Within few minutes patient is miserable with pain and tosses in bed. Sudden pallor, sweating, and vomiting may ensue in some patients. Also hematuria (bloody urine) and dysuria (pain while urinating) may be present. X-ray of pelvic region and/or ultrasonography confirms the diagnosis and also the urine test depicting red blood cells, casts, and proteins.
How homeopathy helps in patients with renal calculus?
The conventional treatment of renal calculus consists of endoscpic removal of calculus with the help of a lithotryptor that breaks the stone into pieces and removes (called endoscopic lithotrypsy). Also analgesics for lessening the pain are given. But homeopathy is known to replace surgeon’s knife in cases of renal calculus. Wide ranges of medicines are there in Homeopathy that have to be applied individually depending upon patient’s signs and symptoms and renal pathology.
How homeopathic medicines act to impart relief?
It is a four-step action with homeopathy—
- Relief from pain
- Fragmentation of stone
- Expulsion of these fragments through urine
- Putting an end to the tendency to form recurrent kidney stones
The innate tendencies in human beings when get disturbed, such kind of nasty problems crop up. The homeopathic medicines help restore the harmony. That is why the constitutional medicines given considering the physical, mental, and emotional tendencies of patients help prevent recurrences of any disease in homeopathy. The medicines like Lycopodium, Berberis vulgaris, Sarsaparilla, Cantharis, Calcarea carb, Pariera brava, Occimum can, Hydrangia, Thuja etc are some of the top selected medicines for renal calculus.
Auxiliary Line of Treatment:
The patient should be advised certain precautions to lessen the suffering faster and prevent recurrence-
(1) Drinking at least 10 glasses of water is must every day. In our clinical practice, we observe that people those drink less water as a rule are more susceptible to acquiring kidney stones
(2) When there are calcium oxalate stones, one should minimize consumption of spinach, radish, tomatoes, mushrooms, excess tea and coffee, cheese, chocolates, etc. once the harmony is established, patient can be allowed to eat these stuffs in moderation.
(3) Avoid being over-weight. Reduction in extra pounds helps reduce tendency to acquire renal calculus. So drink enough water and exercise regularly for utmost benefit!