Monday, July 15, 2013
Eye Exercises that Help Improve Your Vision!
We have seen in our earlier blogs that homeopathy is the suitable mode of therapy for a variety of eye troubles. You can see the detailed article here. However, along with the homeopathic regime, in many of our patients, we suggest different eye exercises that help them improve their vision while minimizing the trouble.
Please make sure to consult us or your doctor before you start with these exercises, especially if you have some eye problem; for others who want to improve their vision, these exercises are quite safe to do regularly. Most importantly, many of these exercises prevent future eye troubles, if coupled with appropriate diet and a healthy lifestyle.
Especially today when lot of people suffer from eye strain due to long hours on the computers, these eye exercises help them retain the normal eye power while diminishing the effect of that strain. Blurred vision, photophobia, headaches, excessive blinking, squinting of eyes due to muscular weakness etc are also helped by these exercises. One should also know that prescribing these exercises from childhood is very important in order to have a secured vision in future and also to avoid hoards of eye problems today’s kids are suffering from.
Benefits of eye exercises-
The regular eye exercises-
1. Strengthen the eye muscles
2. Improve focusing
3. Improve eye movements
4. Eases the stress
5. Improves control over your eye muscles
6. Stimulates the vision center in the brain, which in turn improves short-distance as well as long-distance vision.
Some Important Eye Exercises-
1. Sit comfortably on the ground or a chair. Using cups of your both palms close your eyes without inflicting pressure on to the eyeballs for some time. Now open your eyes inside your palms and blink repeatedly, while holding your palms in the same position. Now remove the palms and again blink several times. Again put your palms on the eyes and do the same blinking exercises. Repeat this cycle 4-5 times. At the end, again place the palms on the eyes and let the eyes relax behind the closed eyelids.
2. While inhaling and exhaling consciously and deeply, rotate your eyes in all the directions 4-5 times.
3. Sit straight and try to look with both the eyes at the center of your eyebrows. Hold for a few seconds and again bring them back to original position. Repeat for 3-4 times.
4. Now focus on your tip of the nose with both the eyes. Again get them back to normal position. Repeat 3-4 times.
5. Close your eyes. Now squeeze the eyes tightly shut. Again open them and relax. Repeat this squeezing and relaxing technique 4-5 times.
6. Close your eyes. Gently touch your eyelids and massage your eyes with circular movements. Press lightly. Don’t try to press too hard. Make 10 circular movements, first clockwise then counterclockwise.
7. Trataka- This is one of the very useful yogic technique that we suggest to many of our patients at drshreya.com with various eye complaints. This exercise not only helps cleanse the eyes but also helps improve concentration and focusing. Sit straight. Now focus on any small object at a distance of about 2 feet without blinking (Many people suggest to look at a candle or a lamp, which is fine too). Keep the gaze steady till your eyes begin to water. Now close your eyes and try to visualize that object mentally. You may put the palms of your hands on both the eyes too.
8. A variation of Trataka is also suggested as follows- Sit straight. Now bring your right arm in straight line of your shoulders in front of you and extend the thumb in thumbs-up position. Now slowly move your arm in a straight line away from center towards the right side. While doing this, do not move your neck but follow the thumb with your eyes rotating along with it. Now, again get the thumb back to the original position while rolling the eyes in with it. Repeat the entire exercise using left arm and thumb too.